Dermatology began at Indiana University with the appointment of Dr. Alembert Brayton in the early 1900's as the first Professor of Dermatology and Syphilology. At that time as in most medical schools, dermatology was a section of Internal Medicine. Dr. Brayton was succeeded by a number of dermatologists who taught at the medical school while maintaining private practices in Indianapolis; these included Drs. Frank Cregor, Frank Gastineau, John Brayton, James Gosman, Boynton Booth and Robert Jenkins.
The residency program was established at the Marion County General Hospital, now the Wishard Memorial Hospital, by Dr. John Dalton, who served as Chief of Dermatology from 1948 to1960. Dr. Booth directed the residency program.
In 1963, Dermatology became a Department of the Indiana University School of Medicine. Dr. Victor Hackney was recruited from Stanford University to be the first chairman. The residency program and clinical service at the Marion County General Hospital and the clinical service at Indiana University were merged into the Department. The Department grew with the addition of full-time faculty including Dr. Arthur Norins in 1964 and Dr. Walter Epinette in 1971, both from Stanford.
In 1976, Dr. Norins succeeded Dr. Hackney as Chairman and recruited Dr. Stephen Wolverton. The dermatology residency expanded to six. Clinics at the Riley Hospital for Children and the Roudebush Veterans Administration Medical Center were incorporated into the training and service program. This period also saw the expansion of the research efforts with the establishment of the Hackney Laboratory for Investigative Dermatopathology in 1990. Dr. Dan Spandau was appointed the director and has developed a research program in molecular biology of the skin.
In 1993, Dr. Evan Farmer was recruited from Johns Hopkins University to succeed Dr. Norins as Chairman and was appointed the first Kampen-Norins Chair in 1997. Dr. Farmer's interests included dermatopathology, graft-versus-host disease and clinical dermatology with emphasis on outcome studies. Dr. Farmer recruited Dr. Charles Lewis from Brooke Army Medical Center to head the Regenstrief Dermatology Clinics in 1994. In 1995 Jeffrey B.Travers, MD, PhD was recruited.
In 2001, Dr. Farmer became Dean and Provost at Eastern Virginia Medical School. Following a nationwide search, Dr. Travers was chosen as Chair. Newer additions to the faculty include Drs. Gary Dillon (general dermatology, dermatopathology), Nico Mousdicas (contact & occupational dermatology), Anita Haggstrom (pediatric dermatology), Lawrence Mark (melanoma, lymphoma), Ally-Khan Somani (Mohs surgery, investigative dermatology), Najwa Somani (dermatopathology, hair disorders), and Alison Klenk (general dermatology). Three new satellite offices opened (put here link to locations). The number of residents was expanded to nine. Drs. Melanie Kingsley (cosmetic dermatology), Joanne Trockman (general dermatology), and Lisa Xu (medical dermatology) joined us in 2010.
In 2010, following a national search, Elliot J. Androphy, MD, was chosen to be the fifth Chair of Dermatology, having previously held administrative leadership roles at the Univ of Massachusetts and Tufts Medical Schools. An internationally renown papillomavirus researcher, Dr. Androphy recruited Jonathan Cherry, PhD, and Samisubbu Naidu, PhD, as research faculty. Dr. Travers remains on the faculty and devotes more effort to his research programs in atopic dermatitis and immunology of the skin. With NIH grants awarded to Androphy, Haggstrom, Spandau and Travers, the Department of Dermatology currently ranks in the top 10% in total NIH funding.
Philanthropy has greatly assisted the Department in fulfilling its missions of excellence in clinical, research and investigative dermatology. The Kampen-Norins Chair was a kind gift from the Kampen family and Dr. Androphy is its current occupant. The Arthur Norins Professorship was established by grateful alumni and friends of the Department and Dr. Haggstrom is its current occupant. Dr. Stephen Wolverton is the Theodore Arlook Professor, with funds donated by the family of the late dermatologist Dr. Arlook. Dr. Lawrence Mark holds the Charles Lewis Professorship, made possible by the generosity of departmental alumni, friends, and Dr. Lewis' former trainees.